Tooth-Colored Filling—Marlton, NJ
Rebuild & Protect Teeth Affected by Cavities
Cavities are one of the most common oral health problems in the world. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that it impacts about 90% of adults 20 and older and 52% of children between six and eight. So, if you’re dealing with decay, know that it’s an incredibly common issue that impacts most of the patients we see, and we offer effective tooth-colored fillings that blend in with your smile to treat them. If you haven’t visited your dentist for a routine checkup and cleaning within the past six months, give us a call today to schedule a visit!
Why Choose South Jersey Center for Dental Medicine for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Same-Day Emergency Appointments
- Convenient Saturday Office Hours
- We See Patients of All Ages
What are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Cavity fillings used to be crafted from a combination of metals, including silver, tin, copper, and mercury. Not only were these highly noticeable, but they would also expand and contract over time, leading to increased dental sensitivity.
Today, our team uses a safe, biocompatible material to fill cavities, called composite resin. It’s comprised of finely ground particles of organic and inorganic polymer-based materials that are able to chemically fuse with natural tooth enamel. This minimizes any chance of your cavity spreading once the filling is placed, as well as creates a tight seal to protect the interior of your tooth.
The Process of Getting a Filling
Tooth-colored fillings in Marlton are quick and easy treatments. First, Dr. Vidya or Dr. Sandberg will clear away all loose debris from your tooth to ensure that none lingers. They’ll then match the color of your tooth to a corresponding composite resin and prepare your tooth by ensuring sanitizing and cleaning it.
Before placing the composite resin putty onto the tooth, they’ll etch the surface to provide it with some grip to attach to. Then, they’ll mold the putty into the shape of your tooth before curing it with a UV light. Finally, your dentist will texturize the resin and check your bite, making any final adjustments to ensure it fits perfectly within your mouth and looks indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
You’ll be able to enjoy a variety of benefits from tooth-colored fillings, especially compared to their amalgam counterparts, which are no longer the modern standard for cavity treatment. Some of these include:
- A Natural Appearance: Composite resin is very similar in appearance to natural dental structure, so you won’t have to worry about your filling sticking out whenever you laugh or smile.
- Biocompatible Material: Because composite resin doesn’t contain any metal, there’s no risk for those with allergies or sensitivities.
- Preservation of Natural Dental Structure: Composite resin is able to naturally fuse with your tooth, meaning less of your dental structure will need to be removed or adjusted to accommodate the filling.
- Durability & Long Lifespan: With the proper maintenance, cavity fillings can last for several years.
- Affordability: Today, many dental insurance plans will cover at least a portion of the cost of tooth-colored fillings.